MAX Blog

Fit & Fabulous Challenge- Week 3

We have reached the halfway point of our Fitness Challenge! Congratulations to all of our challenge participants for making it this far- every day is a victory!

Research suggests that it takes 21 days to make a habit. At the end of this week, each one of you will have done something far bigger than just losing weight, you will have developed a healthy habit, a routine, a lifestyle! 

Each week, we kick it up a notch. In week 1, we began our workouts and made small changes to our diets. In week 2, we added bonus workouts (burnouts) and started tracking our meals. Now, for week 3, it is time to place a priority on our nutrition. 

Any great athlete will tell you- food is fuel. You have to eat to perform, but WHAT you eat affects your performance.  While technically a calorie is a calorie, the nutrition provided by thus calorie is a huge factor in the way your body functions and looks. Two thousand calories of twinkies will not get you very far in your day before you crash and burn, while two thousand calories of lean meat, fruit, and veggies will power you through the day, assist in muscle building and recovery, and fuel your activities. 

Take a look at last week's food diary. As you were tracking your every bite, were you shocked by how much you really consumed? Those little snacks creep up on you, don't they, and what you thought was one serving of salad dressing really ends up being more like three. It all adds up. So, what's next? 

Like we have mentioned before, Steve and I follow an 80/20 rule. 80% of our diet is healthy, nutritious whole foods, while the remaining 20% is available for our favorite treats. For example, in order to indulge in some homemade cookies for dessert, my dinner would include grilled chicken drizzled with my dad's famous mushroom sauce and summer squash. 

Looking at your food diary, is there room for improvement? Maybe swap out those frozen waffles and syrup for an egg omelet and side of fruit. Still grabbing lunch on the go? Give yourself five extra minutes in the morning to pack something nutritious and delicious! Small adjustments lead to big results. So, take a close look and start tweaking your diet. You have been busting your butt with these workouts, now it is time for your body to show off all those lean muscles! Abs are made in the kitchen.

All right, here we go! This week is going to be tough, but we know you can do it!

Workout #1- "Lordy, Lordy Let's Do Forty"

  • 40 Right Side Burpees
  • 40 Right Side Curtsy Lunges
  • 40 Right Side V Crunches
  • 40 Left Side Burpees
  • 40 Left Side Curtsy Lunges
  • 40 Left Side V Crunches

 

* Please view the video for exercise demonstrations. Try to finish the workout as fast as you can, but do not compromise technique for time.

Burnout #1- "100 Leg Lift Variety Burnout"

* Click on the link to view this awesome ab workout!

 

Workout #2- "Buns of Steel"

Part 1

  • 3 x 10 (each leg) Single Leg Squats
  • 3 x 10 (each leg) Single Leg Deadlifts

Part 2

  • 3 x 20 Swimmers
  • 3 x 20 (each leg) Donkey Kicks

Part 3

  • 3 x 20 Hip Thrusts
  • 3 x 20 Hamstring Curls

* Check out the video for exercise demonstrations.

Burnout #2- "Three Way Abs"

* Click on the link and grab a partner for this ab burnout!

 

Workout #3- "Shoulder Surgery"

3- 5 Rounds:

  • 10 Plate Punches
  • 10 Bent Over Rows
  • 10 Overhead Presses
  • 10 Over Right Shoulder
  • 10 Over Left Shoulder
  • 10 Right Circles
  • 10 Left Circles
  • 10 Front Squats

* Please view the video for exercise demonstrations. If you do not have a weight plate, check out our MAX Workouts page to choose another great workout! 

Burnout #3- "Bootilicious" 

* Click on the link to view this backside-lifting workout!

 

Workout #4- "Full Body Blast"

  • 1 minute Jumping Jack Touchdowns
  • 50 Chest Press and Leg Lifts
  • 1 minute Jumping Jack Touchdowns
  • 30 Push Up and Row
  • 1 minute Jumping Jack Touchdowns
  • 50 Heel Elevated Squats
  • 1 minute Jumping Jack Touchdowns
  • 30 Skull Crushers

* View video for exercise demonstrations and no equipment modifications.

Burnout #4- "Fab Abs"

* Click link to view this ab-sculpting workout!

 

Active Rest Days

Click here and scroll down to the Day 1 Workout to see some of our suggestions for active rest activities.  

We love to hear from you! Share your progress with your MAX family by posting, liking, tweeting, and pinning on your favorite social media sites. We are right here doing the challenge along with you and are so happy you chose to join us! You GET what you GIVE!



Fall Fitness Challenge- Week 2

If you are new to our challenge, click HERE to get started.

This week, I want you to continue to track your meals and keep those simple grab-n-go healthy snacks in your fridge. Make sure you are reaching your recommended daily water intake. Sometimes the feeling of hunger is actually dehydration! 

In addition, it is time to take a closer look at your diet. Let me start with this- there is no perfect diet. Fad diets constantly come and go and always call for some sort of ridiculous exclusion of important foods. Many of these diets work for a little while because they require calorie restrictions, however, it is very difficult to adhere to these diets for the long haul. The best diet is the one you can stick to and enjoy. While you can not eat brownies and ice cream all day, there are some easy ways to tweak your diet without completely eliminating your favorite foods.

  • Calorie restriction3500 calories equals one pound. So, if you would like to lose weight, a moderate restriction of 500 calories per day would equate to losing one pound a week. 
  • Increase your protein intake. Most likely, you are not getting enough protein. You should aim for 0.8-1 gram of protein per pound of body weight. For example, a 150 pound person should consume anywhere from 120-150 grams of protein per day. 
  • Follow the 80/20 rule. 80% of your daily caloric intake should be healthy, nutritious food full of good-for-you nutrients (think lean meats and vegetables). The remaining 20% can include your favorite foods that may not be the healthiest choices (think chocolate chip cookies). By allowing for a small amount (no, you can not have the entire bag) of your guilty pleasures, you will prevent binge eating and help with diet adherence.

Now, for the fun stuff!  Our workout for this week is my new favorite workout! It only takes about 20 minutes and works you from head to toe. I have a feeling you are going to love it too. Remember to perform the workout 3-4x this week and then choose an active rest activity, such as walking or swimming, for the remaining days.

You GET what you GIVE!


 

Grab a couple towels and get ready to burn some major calories!


Fall Fitness Challenge- Week 2

My sincerest apologies for the late post! This past weekend, I was honored to coach with the top coaches of the country at the Peak Performance Training Camp. However, in all my excitement, I completely forgot to bring my computer. So, without further ado, let us get on with week two of our Fall Fitness Challenge!

If you are new to our challenge, click HERE to get started. This week, I want you to continue to track your meals and keep those simple grab-n-go healthy snacks in your fridge. Make sure you are reaching your recommended daily water intake. Sometimes the feeling of hunger is actually dehydration! 

In addition, it is time to take a closer look at your diet. Let me start with this- there is no perfect diet. Fad diets constantly come and go and always call for some sort of ridiculous exclusion of important foods. Many of these diets work for a little while because they require calorie restrictions, however, it is very difficult to adhere to these diets for the long haul. The best diet is the one you can stick to and enjoy. While you can not eat brownies and ice cream all day, there are some easy ways to tweak your diet without completely eliminating your favorite foods.

  • Calorie restriction3500 calories equals one pound. So, if you would like to lose weight, a moderate restriction of 500 calories per day would equate to losing one pound a week. 
  • Increase your protein intake. Most likely, you are not getting enough protein. You should aim for 0.8-1 gram of protein per pound of body weight. For example, a 150 pound person should consume anywhere from 120-150 grams of protein per day. 
  • Follow the 80/20 rule. 80% of your daily caloric intake should be healthy, nutritious food full of good-for-you nutrients (think lean meats and vegetables). The remaining 20% can include your favorite foods that may not be the healthiest choices (think chocolate chip cookies). By allowing for a small amount (no, you can not have the entire bag) of your guilty pleasures, you will prevent binge eating and help with diet adherence.

Now, for the fun stuff! Our workout for this week is my new favorite workout! It only takes about 20 minutes and works you from head to toe. I have a feeling you are going to love it too. Remember to perform the workout 3-4x this week and then choose an active rest activity, such as walking or swimming, for the remaining days.

You GET what you GIVE!


 

Grab a couple towels and get ready to burn some major calories!


Too Good to be True

For those of you that are new to the site, we are taking a few weeks to discuss the latest fitness and nutrition trends. You know the old saying, "If it is too good to be true, then it probably is." We began with Detox Diets and Juice Cleanses, and today we tackle the fitness products that promise us toned abs, sculpted thighs, and chiseled arms with very little work and no change to our diets. Oh boy...this is going to be fun!

Once again, I would like to begin by saying that I have been there. The world of marketing never ceases to amaze me! I am astonished that anyone would buy such a thing. Yet, I myself, have fallen victim to the hype. You put a celebrity on there, show me some random "scientific" study, and post a few before and after pictures and I am hooked- who do I make the check out to? But in reality, we all know better...or at least we should.

A few days ago, Steve and I were completely baffled by a commercial for the Tummy Tuck Belt. Have you seen this one? Do you secretly own this product?  The product claims to burn away belly fat in just 10 minutes without any diet or exercise. The belt is made of a space-age material and comes with a gel that ignites a fat burning chain reaction that continues to burn fat as you go about your day! It gets better! If you do the provided 2 minute ab exercises while wearing the belt, you will increase your results by double! All this for only 3 payments, no wait, they slashed the price to only 2 payments of $19.99!

I am just counting down the days for the very busy FTC (Federal Trade Commission) to pull this off the shelf. Space-age material? Try spandex and nylon. Thermal accelerating cream? Ummm....no. Two whole minutes of crunches for twice the results? This is beyond ridiculous. Your body just does not work like that. Sorry. Weight loss, fat loss, muscular gains, training adaptations- they all take time and effort.

Fitness products and their deceptive promises are everywhere, and sadly, we are buying them. A lot of them- like a multi-billion dollar industry- lot of them! From the Shake Weight, to Toning Shoes, to Electric Shock Ab Belts, to Power Balance Bracelets, we are buying them, and then selling them in our next yard sale. They just do not work. Come on, admit it, you bought a pair of Toning Shoes. We all walked around, balancing on those curved soles, hoping to tone our legs and butt without stepping on an elliptical or doing a single lunge. It's okay. You weren't the only one. Over a billion dollars of Toning Shoes were sold before the FTC forced the footwear companies to refund millions of dollars in a false-claim settlement.

Save your money. No, the Shake Weight will not give you the perfectly toned arms you desire. However, they are the perfect gag gift for your office Christmas Party! A bracelet will not give you peace and balance, but a yoga class just might. You can not spot-train your abs in 8 minutes, nor will your buns turn into steel (I tried it, doesn't work). But, a well-rounded resistance training program will do wonders! 

If it is too good to be true, then it probably is. Join a gym, watch our videos, hire a personal trainer, just don't buy another "magic" product. Healthy lifestyle changes are a process. You GET what you GIVE. 


Sometimes, we buy these ineffective products because we are too busy to make it to the gym and like the idea of a product that works in just a few minutes! We have the perfect workouts made just for busy people like you! Our Short and Sweet workouts are all under 20 minutes. While they are short on time, they are anything but short in effectiveness! View our videos here.