Just as we promised, our next fitness challenge is about to begin!
Our latest challenge was inspired last year by our crazy busy lives with a newborn. There was a small window of opportunity to squeeze in a workout- between feedings, during naptime, or when the other spouse is available to watch the baby. Not much has changed now that she is a toddler! I know we are not the only ones who struggle to find time to workout. Thus, came the idea for our Fall Fitness Challenge. All the workouts use popular household items, can be completed in under 30 minutes, and are done in the comfort of your own home!
The Fall Fitness Challenge officially begins next week, but we recommend you take this week to prepare and complete the following:
- Enlist a friend (or group of friends) to join you in taking the challenge. There is strength in numbers! Having someone to motivate you and keep you on track will boost your chance of success.
- Determine your daily water intake. The recommended amount is half your body weight in ounces. For example, a 160 pound adult should drink 80 ounces of water a day (or roughly 5 bottles of water). This does not include any additional waters needed to refuel after a workout.
- Get a food tracker. We use MyFitnessPal (iOS, Android, Windows) but there are tons of excellent apps available and most are free and simple to use. Tracking your food helps with portion control and cutting calories. You will be surprised how much sugar is in your seemingly "healthy" shake or how many calories are packed into your morning latte.
- Stock up on grab and go snacks. There is a reason we reach for the potato chips or the jar of M&Ms instead of the oranges that need to be peeled or the apples that needs to be sliced- convenience. Fill your fridge with grapes, cheese sticks, pre-cut carrots, and single serve foods such as yogurt, cottage cheese, and applesauce.
- Take a "before" picture. Before you panic, I promise you do not have to share your photo. Visually tracking your progress is important. Sometimes the scale does not accurately represent your success, but a smaller stomach and lifted backside does!
We look forward to taking the challenge with you. Share the challenge with your friends and we will start next week!
You GET what you GIVE!