More than one third of our children are overweight or obese. If that isn't frightening enough, this number is steadily rising. What is going on? First, take away gym class, since that does not seem to be as important as test preparation in our schools. Next, forget recess, for that went bye-bye a long time ago. Of course, no more bike riding to your friend's house after school, because there is not a safe street left for that nonsense. Finally, add in super realistic video games and marathon TV watching with Netflix, and good luck trying to get your kid to go outside and play.
Did you know the American Heart Association recommends that children participate in at least 60 minutes of moderate to vigorous physical activity EVERY day. That is nearly three times greater than the adult recommendation! How do we convince our youth to stay active when we ourselves struggle to get to the gym? Here our a few tips to get them off the couch and outside playing:
- Set a limit to sedentary time (watching television, playing on the computer, video games, or on the phone).
- Physical activity should be fun and exciting! What sounds more fun- running around the track or playing a game of tag?
- Get their friends involved. Gather up the neighborhood kids and help ref a game of flag football or kickball.
- Parents need to be role models for healthy, active lifestyles. Kids are great imitators!
- Sign them up for sports! Becoming part of a team provides numerous physical and mental benefits, plus you get to be their #1 fan! It is a win-win!
- Make physical activity a family affair. Head to the beach, to the park, go ice skating, or to a trampoline park. Get out there and have some fun!
Got a few tips of your own? How about a family activity you love to do together? We would love for you to share! Just comment below or post your idea to any of our social sites!
Below are a couple of workouts the whole family can do together! You GET what you GIVE!
What happens when you head out of town and give your MAX athletes an assignment? You get a ton of new, awesome workouts! Kids are so creative! One of our students came up with this fun workout that can be done anywhere and does not require any fitness equipment. Grab one of the kids (or any partner will do) and try "The Dice Workout."
Heading to the park for some Spring Break fun? Let the kids be in charge with this fun, family workout called "Follow the Leader."